Battery Care & Maintenance
Don’t let your battery leaving you feeling flat!! A battery check will help maintain the optimum working level.
With battery failure being one of the most common cause of a vehicle breakdown, it is essential to have your battery checked and maintained regularly.
You may notice a strange smell similar to rotting eggs. This is the acid in battery boiling over as it works excessively to provide the necessary amount of power it has to create. If this happens to your battery it could pose a risk to yourself or your car’s internal components.
How your battery works
Upon turning the key in the ignition, your battery will supply power to the starter motor of your vehicle which will turn the engine over. Simultaneously, power from the battery is sent to the spark plugs igniting the fuel and air mixture that has been compressed in the engine combustion cylinders.
To keep the battery fully charged, the power from the battery is replaced by the alternator which then supplies the majority of the electrical current to your vehicles electrical systems.
With all of these elements and additional systems such as the air conditioning, satellite navigation systems and in-car music systems adding to the demand on your vehicles battery it is inevitable that at some point your battery may fail.
In order to prevent battery failure, a regular battery check and maintenance is necessary to help identify any issues early, saving you the inconvenience of a breakdown.
What can cause a car battery to fail?
- Extreme weather conditions
- Age of the battery (Lifespan 5-7 years)
- Vehicle lights being left on
- Vehicle standing for long periods without use
- Excessive strain due to increased use of a vehicles systems (air con, radio & sat nav)
How do I know when I need a replacement car battery?
What to look out for:
- You will experience problems starting the car’s engine.
- You might notice that there is a problem with the lights, radio, air conditioning and wipers.
- You may notice a strange smell similar to rotting eggs. This is the acid in battery boiling over as it works excessively to provide the necessary amount of power it has to create. If this happens to your battery it could pose a risk to yourself or your car’s internal components.
You must at this point get your battery inspected immediately.
If you have any concerns about the condition of your battery, why not call into Phillips Tyre, Oxford where our team of fully-trained technicians will carry out a thorough battery check.
We can provide advice on maintaining your battery and where necessary help you choose the correct type of battery for your car.